If you’re like most of our clients here at KW Fitness, you probably have spent a lot of time taking care of everyone but yourself. You have a never ending list of “to do’s”, and you feel extremely guilty when it comes to putting yourself first. You are NOT alone.
(The photo above is of my mom with all of her grand kids! She also is a busy executive of a bank and, even when she’s not at work, she is working. Can you relate?!)
You may feel over-stressed, over-worked, over-tired and under-appreciated. The LAST thing on your mind is exercising and making time to plan nutritious meals for yourself! Everyone eats different foods in your house and, oh… have you ever gotten home and realized that you don’t even remember the last time you ate that day, then you end up eating EVERYTHING IN YOUR CUPBOARDS?! Yep, you are DEFINITELY not alone.
Here’s the thing… to be able to give your all and take care of the people and things that you love the way that you really truly want to, you need to take care of YOURSELF first. It’s like the stewardess says- “in case of an emergency, please put on your oxygen mask before assisting others”. You absolutely can’t help everyone else if you’re burnt out.
I know what you’re probably thinking “I KNOWWW Mandy, I’ve heard this before. But my life is so hectic because (insert excuse) and I just don’t have time for me”. I’m not buying it. Your loved ones deserve a present, healthy and happy you! Better yet, YOU deserve a present, healthy and happy you! It just needs to be made a priority. Here are some tips for making time for YOU to be healthy.
1) MAKE time for exercise
MYTH: “I need to spend hours in the gym in order to get results”
WRONG!! All you need is 30 minutes. As long as you are productive, you will KILL IT! Don’t know how to make that 30 minutes productive?? That’s where we come in!! Have a Personal Trainer take you through an awesome workout, customized to you, to take the guess work out of it! We have some of the BUSIEST people that do programs with us at KW Fitness and they CRUSH their results! Some of them in just 3, 30 minute sessions per week.
– By the way, do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to put 6 days a week of exercise in your schedule, especially if this is a new concept to you. That’s like going from 0 to 100 miles per hour and that’ll feel unrealistic. You’ll quit after your first week. Try 3 days a week to start and stick to that! Bite-sized steps to start. Trust me.
2) PLAN your meals
MYTH: “In order to lose weight, I need to eat less”
WRONG!! If you’re the person that forgets to eat during the day because you’re so busy, make an appointment with yourself to do EAT! You schedule meetings and other appointments, so why not SCHEDULE time to eat? Again, 30 minutes is all you need. Maybe even 20 or less! Set an alarm on your phone and stick to it!
– Plan ahead WHAT you’re going to eat! Again, if this is a new concept to you, do NOT try to plan every single meal for every single day ahead of time. You will get frustrated really quickly! Be a good guy/gal and shoot for one meal planned ahead per day. Once you get the hang of that, it gets easier to plan the other meals ahead of time. My best planning ahead days are Sundays!
3) Make yourself accountable to someone else
MYTH: “I can motivate myself”
WRONG! Ok, I may not know you that well, but I do know this: the high and excitement of getting started wears off. We can only motivate ourselves for so long. When the going gets tough, when we have an off day/week/month, that’s when we go backwards. When you’re accountable to another person, it makes it SO much easier to stay on track.
– Have that person be positive, knowledgable, and on your side! The WORST accountability partner is someone who will let you fall of the wagon because they are too nice or too afraid of holding you to what you initially sought out to do. Our advice?? Hire us! (Duh, you knew I would throw that in there)!
– Side note: hold yourself accountable to a plan that WORKS. We can also do that for you.
To wrap up here, I want you to know that you CAN make time for yourself and it WILL be worth it for the ones you love and take care of, as well as yourself. Imagine what you can accomplish when you’re well rested, well hydrated, strong, confident, pain-free and happy?!? I get chills thinking about it 🙂