Does being healthy mean you also have to sacrifice your social life or going out to eat? Of course not! Does it mean you should make smarter choices? Absolutely. We reached out to some of our local favorite restaurants to give you some options for your next outing.
Check out these awesome local restaurants and some healthy options from their menus!
Food & Fire BBQ– 560 Harry L Drive, Johnson City, NY
One thing you’ll immediately notice about Food & Fire is the fun vibe and the friendly atmosphere. Everyone working there is extremely nice and knowledgable about their menu items. Kevin, KW Fitness’s owner, admits that he LOVES their burgers! Owner Dan Polhamus said “Food & Fire is also great for those with special dietary requests (gluten-free, vegetarian, etc)”. Here are some of our favorite healthy choices from their menu:
• Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon- 8oz. salmon fillet, BBQ-spiced, grilled on cedar. Served with beans & rice & grilled vegetables
• The BIG Wedge (Salad)- crisp Iceberg, red onion, grape tomato, chopped bacon, crumbly bleu, sweet peas, balsamic syrup, bleu cheese dressing
• Tangy Thai Shrimp & Quinoa- mixed greens, veggie quinoa, BBQ-grilled shrimp, tomato, onion, cucumber, roasted red pepper, carrot, cornbread croutons, with Tangy Thai dressing
Remlik’s Grille & Oyster Bar- 31 Lewis St, Binghamton, NY (downtown, in the Kilmer Building)
Remliks is open for lunch and dinner. Their staff is very attentive and they have a fantastic raw bar. It has a social-vibe and the high ceilings of the classic Kilmer building gives it a unique atmosphere. Remlik’s has several salad choices, a variety of seafood options and great veggies. Here are some healthy menu options from their menu:
• Grilled Portobella- Baby spinach, Roasted peppers, Feta
• Sushi- Several options, available Tuesday-Saturday
• Beans & Greens- Linguini, Cannellini Beans, Baby Spinich, White wine, and Garlic
• Atlantic Salmon- Risotto, Baby Spinach, Sun-Dried Tomato, Beurre Blanc
• Caprese- Mozzarella, Tomatoes, Balsamic, Basil and Mixed Greens
• Ahi Tuna- Sushi grade, salmon encrusted with Jasmine Rice, Pickled Slaw and Ginger Hoisin
Moxie Wood Fire Grill– 998 Conklin Road, Conklin, NY
Moxie has an upscale, west-coast feel with a warm ambiance and delicious food! It’s definitely great for a date-night or just a night out with a group of friends. They serve fresh seasonal vegetables with their meals and are also offering “grilled shisito peppers” as an appetizer, which are very low in calories and fat. Here are some healthy options from Moxie’s menu:
• Mesquite Grilled Chicken Salad- Mixed field greens, tomatoes, kalamata olives, pepperoncini peppers, with your choice of dressings.
• Ahi Tuna Steak – Wood fire grilled with soy ginger and a cucumber wasabi relish
• Alder Plank Salmon- Fresh wild caught lightly seasoned and wood fire roasted
• Fire Roasted Diver Scallops- Fresh jumbo scallops cedar plank roasted with our apricot horseradish glaze
• Duck Confit- Classic French preparation with roasted potatoes and a field greens salad
P.S Restaurant– 100 Rano Blvd, Suite 8, Vestal, NY
P.S Restaurant is located inside Weis Plaza and it has a quaint, classy atmosphere. It’s described as “fine dining with casual elegance”. They support local farmers and everything is personally prepared by their owner/ award-winning chef, Rick Dodd.
“We have several options that are very healthy! We also offer vegetarian and gluten free options.”- Sylvana Dodd, Owner
Here are some healthy options straight from P.S Restaurant’s Menu:
• Shrimp & Scallops with Asian Pesto (no butter, cream or oil included!)- Shrimp and scallops poached in white port, ginger & coriander, on top of a mint & peanut asian pesto. GF
• Mango Spring Rolls- Rice cellophane wrappers rolled with cucumber, carrot, mango, sprouts, & bamboo shoots drizzled with a sweet chilli garlic sauce. GF
• Phad Thai- Cellophane noodles sauteed with bean curd, garlic and turnip then simmered in a tamarind, tomato, chili,
lemon and peanut sauce and finally tossed with bean sprouts, scallions and egg.
• Tom Yum Soup- A Thai favorite, fresh lemon grass flavored broth with mushrooms and spices, simmered with choice of meat (chicken or shrimp). GF
• Red Roast Duck- 8 oz. boneless Duck Breast simmered in Shaoxing Wine, Red Wine & Soy. Laid with Jasmine Rice and a Shaoxing Wine Reduction.
Water Street Brewing Co– 168 Water St, Binghamton, NY
Water Street Brewing Co. has an awesome ambiance and they use all fresh ingredients. I’ve only had pleasant experiences there! They brew their own beer in house and offer yummy beer & wine flights (shhh)! I tend to go to Water Street Brewing for their salads and Kevin loves their burgers. Here are some healthy options from their menu:
• Southwestern Grilled Tempeh or Chicken Salad (Vegan option and GF)- Your choice of marinated organic tempeh (vegan) or locally-sourced chicken, black beans, corn, jalapeños, sprouts and avocado over fresh greens.
• Grilled Salmon Salad (GF)- Grilled salmon, cucumber, tomato, red onion, and sprouts over fresh greens.
• Taco Salad (Vegan option and GF)- Your choice of locally-sourced beef or vegetarian soy crumbles, corn tortillas, fresh tomato salsa, cheddar cheese, black beans, and sour cream over fresh greens.
Number 5– 33 South Washington St, Binghamton, NY
Number 5 is located on the corner of 434 and South Washington St. It’s located in the former Fire Station Number 5, which initially was built back in 1897! The vibe is of a restaurant you’d find in the heart of the Big Apple and their food can be prepared any way you like!
Check out what Jackie Wahl, Number 5’s Office and Marketing Manager has to say:
“We have a wide variety of options on our menu that are healthy. We can customize any preparation as well to make it healthier or suitable for any diet, allergy, or disease that anyone may have. We have fresh seafood delivered 4 times a week that is a great healthy choice. Our steaks are usually dipped in butter which isn’t always the best for a healthy diet but that can easily be skipped! We offer fresh vegetables everyday. Our salad selection consists of 9 different options. With the new phase or trend of ‘Gluten Free’ right now we want to let everyone know a lot of things on our menu are GF, they just have to ask and let us know! The big thing about Number 5 is that everything- we mean everything- is prepared to order so anything on our menu is adjustable and not a problem to change.”
Here are some of their healthy options straight from the menu:
• Spring Rolls- Lemongrass & ginger spiked vegetable rolls, sweet chili plum dipping sauce
• Peppered Tuna- Pepper encrusted, pan seared rare, drizzled with a Thai vinaigrette
• Ahi Tuna- Rolled in black sesame seeds, pan seared rare, topped with red ginger, wasabi mousse, and drizzled with a Miso-soy reduction
Lampy’s– 105 West Main St, Endicott, NY
Lampy’s was designed as a as a Mediterranean Grill and has a relaxing atmosphere. Jackie Wahl, Office and Marketing Manager, said:
“We have seafood delivered fresh 3 times a week. A lot of the menu items are made to order as well. We actually have GF next to all the items on the menu that are Gluten Free. If the preparation has something that the person cannot have we can certainly substitute it or change it accordingly. We do offer a GF bread! Minus the pizza and pasta choices on our menu we do have a lot of different options on our menu that is healthy or can be adjusted to become healthy. We have a great salad selection like Number 5, too!”
• Ahi Tuna- GF, Soy reduction, Wasabi
• Garlic Steamed Clams- GF, 12 steamed with garlic, white wine, and lemon
• Seared Salmon- GF, Sautéed apples and fennel, sage honey
Cyber Cafe West– 176 Main St, Binghamton, NY
We took the KW Fitness staff to Cyber Cafe West for our quarterly meeting last week (they have “conference rooms” aka comfy couches you can reserve!) and everyone loved the food and all of the healthy options on the menu. One thing that we found to be really cool is that any wrap can be turned into an “Unwrap”- aka GIANT salad. Jeff, the owner, said all of their ingredients are fresh and the have plenty of healthy choices! They also have several vegetarian options.
• Wrap of Kahn- Chicken breast, hummus, lettuce and tomatoes.
• Mu Shu Wrap- Chicken breast, sprouts and fresh greens served with an oriental sesame sauce.
• Fajita Wrap- Chicken breast, greens, tomatoes and fresh salsa
• The Odyssey- Feta, black olives, tomatoes, roasted red peppers and pesto, Served on multi-grain ciabatta bread with a side-salad
So there you have it! I’m sure we may have missed some of your favorites,
and we didn’t list every single item from each menu, but when it comes
down to it, moderation is key! Eat-out smart. Happy Dining!!
– Mandy Webb, KW Fitness